Mother’s Day is an ideal way to honour the women in your life who have helped you become the person you are today. In recent years, it has surpassed the celebration of one’s own mother and encompassed grandmothers, women we think of as second mothers, mother-in-laws, fur baby mums, best friends, and even female mentors. Mother’s Day is also a great way to honour women in our world who have made a difference.
Broadening the definition of mother also allows for a more inclusive celebration on a day that can, for some, be a sad occasion. While everyone may not have a mother living or a good relationship with one who is, everyone has a special woman in their lives who they can celebrate.
Mother’s Day can now be transformed into a time to honour those women who have nurtured us and helped us grow, whether they gave birth to us or not. Keep that in mind in your marketing.
27 Ideas to Celebrate Mother’s Day at Your Business
Here are some engaging marketing ideas to celebrate this heart-warming holiday:
- Host a contest by inviting people on your social media page to share stories about the special women in their lives. Allow people to vote on the best and award prizes.
- Offer a Mother’s Day discount. Offer a discount to your audience and invite them to share with their favourite mums out there.
- Give away a Mother’s Day flower (or another free item). Provide a flower to every woman who walks into your store (or buys something from you) and wish them a Happy Mother’s Day.
- Record a video of your staff telling stories about women who influenced them.
- Share your mother’s best recipe.
- Create a gift guide. Work with other businesses to list their items and services as well.
- Offer last-minute, e-delivery of gift cards.
- Send reminder emails counting down the days until Mother’s Day with gift suggestions or ways to honour their mum.
- Create a video of a DIY project for mum.
- Host a special event mums would enjoy.
- Create kits of things mums can do with their kids.
- Create a taster or tester bag, free with purchase to all ladies in your store.
- Offer a free consultation or roll out a new service for busy mums.
- Create a page (or landing page) dedicated to Mother’s Day shopping.
- Create a themed board on Pinterest of gift ideas, places to take your mum, or activities to do together.
- Offer a “Tell your story” session or memoir writing for mums class.
- Create a special wine-pairing or tasting event in honour of mums.
- Host a tea at your business. Encourage people to dress up. Offer prizes for best hat or outfit.
- Post mother-related quotes on social media in the week leading up to the big day.
- Hold a Mother’s Day selfie or funniest video contest.
- Host a photo contest of mums with your product.
- Offer chair massages for mums while people browse or wait for food.
- Run a “Caption this” picture contest with an endearing picture of motherhood.
- Invite people to share pictures they think epitomize motherhood.
- Encourage people to share generational pics of mum, grandmums, great grandmums, etc., or post about how much you miss your mum if she has passed on. You might be surprised how many people identify with this sentiment on Mother’s Day.
- Host a “Tag your mum (or a special woman)” for a chance to win contest.
- Post funny questions on social media. Categories could include “hardest working mum in the animal kingdom,” “Who has it harder—boy mums, girl mums, both?”, “Sign you’re a mum”, or “This or that” questions “like which would your mum like more as a gift—chocolates or jewellery?”.
This year, have some fun with Mother’s Day and use it to get more engagement with your audience while also bring smiles to many faces.